Biodiversity Information System for Europe
by Tim Willmott : Be the first to leave a comment
The Biodiversity Information System for Europe (BISE) is a single entry point for data and information on biodiversity in the EU. Bringing together facts and figures on biodiversity and ecosystem services, it links to related policies, environmental data centres, assessments and research findings from various sources.
Its flagship projects provide important information and knowledge in order to support the decision process at European level. They deal with different aspects like the biodiversity action plan (BAP), indicators (SEBI), the baseline data,ecosystem assessments, the economics of ecosystems and biodiversity (TEEB) or provide an overall view on the state of the environment in Europe (SOER).
- EU 2010 Biodiversity Baseline report
- 10 Messages for Biodiversity
- SEBI Indicators
- BAP report
- SOER 2010
- TEEB study
In addition to these projects, BISE organises information at the European level under five entry points:
- Policy: policy, legislation and supporting activities related to EU directives, the EU Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP), pan- European and global policies
- Topics: state of species, habitats, ecosystems, genetic diversity, threats to biodiversity, impacts of biodiversity loss, evaluation of policy responses
- Data: data sources, statistics and maps related to land, water, soil, air, marine, agriculture, forestry, fisheries, tourism, energy, land use, transport
- Research: important EU-wide research projects related to biodiversity and ecosystem services, improving the science-policy interface
- Countries and Networks: national biodiversity reporting activities and information sharing by networks across national borders
BISE showcases the best available information at European level, for example the findings of the EEA Biodiversity Baseline Report and the SEBI Indicator Assessments. Its content and services are being developed in collaboration with key users and information providers so that it meets the information needs of the biodiversity vision and targets for the EU.
BISE is a partnership between the European Commission (DG Environment, Joint Research Centre and Eurostat) and the European Environment Agency. It serves as the Clearing House Mechanism for the EU within the context of the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and maintains cooperation with the European network of Biodiversity CHMs.
It’s an incredibly rich, detailed and rigorous site with a wealth of information.